18 Years Plus Firefighter Recruit Requirements and Application Procedures
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Firefighter with the St. Mary Parish Fire Protection District #11. Once you have completed the application and filled out the background check form, you can mail or drop it by our Operations Center at 1205 Big Four Corners Road, Jeanerette, LA 70544. If you have any questions, you can contact us at (337) 276-6650.
Minimum requirements for Firefighter Recruit Positions:
1. Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
2. Must posses a valid Louisiana driver’s license, if the person should drive emergency vehicles. Should not have more than three points assessed on driver’s record, or shall not be allowed to operate emergency vehicles.
3. Must posses the ability to meet training and attendance requirements as specified for recruits as well as continuing training requirements as specified.
4. Must be available to respond to incidents.
5. Must be mentally and physically able to perform firefighting and rescue functions.
Applicants with felony convictions shall be reviewed by the St. Mary Parish Fire Protection District #11 Board of Commissioners.
Entrance procedures for Firefighting Recruit Candidates:
Step 1 - The application will be reviewed to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. A background check to include driver’s license, criminal record, and references will be made.
Step 2 – Upon the successful completion of Step 1, the candidate will be invited to an interview with Fire District #11 application review and interview committee.
Step 3 – Once the candidates have completed Step 3, the candidate will be called in for a meeting with the Fire Chief and Officers of Fire District #11.
Step 4- Candidates who successfully complete the interview will be assigned a complete set of personnel protective gear and will be allowed to attend trainings however they will only be allowed to respond to certain calls. The Fire Chief will determine what calls can be ran.
Step 5-Upon successful completion of the 90 days probation period, the candidate will be appointed to the position of Probationary Firefighter. At this point, the Probationary Firefighter will be assigned a pager and will be allowed to begin responding to emergency incidents. The probationary period lasts one year from the time of appointment as a Probationary Firefighter. During this time, the Probationary Firefighter must take and successfully pass the Haz Mat Awareness and NIMS Certification.
Minimum requirements for Explorer Recruit Positions: